Monday 23 March 2015

Chewing Gum

So I thought I'd write a blogpost about something I've recently discovered: apparently chewing gum has a laxative effect. I think this is fairly common knowledge but not something I knew because I've never liked chewing gum at all, it just made me want to gag when I kept something in my mouth that long, and I found it disgusting after it lost its taste (which seemed to happen fairly quickly).

However, once I heard from someone that it had a laxative effect I thought I'd give chewing gum a second chance and I honestly can't begin to explain how glad I am that I did! I don't have any evidence specifically of a laxative effect, but apparently the constant chewing stimulates muscle movement in your bowels, and I can kind of see how this might work, so it could be one of the factors that have meant my bowels are better recently.

I only chew once or twice a day though so maybe you'd have to chew more to get a laxative effect! The way in which it has really helped me is in getting rid of the halitosis that comes from being pretty much permanently constipated. No matter how much mouthwash/floss etc I use, within an hour so that horrible smell returns, simply because it is not an oral hygiene problem, and having gum ready for when I find myself caught in a social situation works perfectly for me!!

It's also supposed to be really good for your teeth if you chew sugar free gum after eating so the sugars from your food don't linger on your teeth.

I've solved the problem of the taste disappearing quickly by chewing extra peppermint ice, it seems to be the best flavour wise! And having something in my mouth for long periods of time is something I'm getting used to, I just have to do it my own way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment